Select another wine

Frederick Stevenson

2019

‘Summertown’

Pinot Noir   |   Adelaide Hills - Australia

About

This is Pinot Noir from the Potter’s Hill Vineyard in Summertown, located in the western enclave of the Adelaide Hills. The vineyard is located between 1,600-1,750 feet in elevation on an east facing, sandy clay over shale ridden site. Since early 2017, Steve has been assisting the owners, Paul & Sarah Hill, with converting the vines to organic viticulture as well as pruning and shoot thinning, allowing more light to enter the vines. 2019 had average winter rainfall that gave way to a very dry growing season, that started insanely hot, then went quite cool during prime summer conditions and finished warmer than usual. The extremes caused minuscule yields, though this vineyard fared better than the neighboring ones, and lots of sampling in the vineyard for optimum picking times.

The fruit was hand picked and cold soaked overnight. 60% of the fruit was destemmed and the remaining 40% was placed atop the destemmed portion in open top fermenters with fermentation kicking off naturally over the course of 2-3 days. Gentle hand plunging and maceration ensued while the grapes fermented for three weeks. Once the ferment went dry it, the wine was left of the skins for an additional four days then basket pressed with full lees to 75% seasoned and 25% new French Burgundy piece. It was bottled in late November without fining or filtration and just a small addition of sulfur.

Stats

  • Grapes: 100% Pinot Noir
  • Vineyard: Potter's Hill Vineyard
  • Vine Age: 28-years-old
  • Soil Type: Red clay & sandy loam over shale
  • Viticulture: Practicing Organic
  • Fermentation: Native – open top, stainless steel (40% whole-cluster)
  • Skin Contact: 25 days
  • Aging: 9 months in French 228L barriques (25% new - 75% seasoned)
  • pH: 3.64
  • Total Acidity: 6.4 g/L
  • Total SO2: 46 ppm
  • Total Production: 180 cases

Tasting Note

“It’s a tangy, bright pinot, jellied berries meets pomegranate tang and lick of cold beetroot juice in there all earthy and sweet and good. It has that nice pinot slide, a little tug of grippy tannin, frisky shards of sour-sweet acidity elevating the thing. It’s got some mojo alright. A different shade of Hills pinot, way off dry red, but also dry, and red, though savoury, but good bitter, but fruity. Really good drinking all up.”
– Mike Bennie

Looking for National Distribution?

Contact Us