Select another wine

Magna Montis


‘Cru Machinte’

Malbec   |   Valle de Uco - Argentina


This is Martin’s cru series Malbec which is only made in exceptional vintages. Both varieties, the Malbec and Cabernet Franc, come from the same estate as the ‘Tupungato’ Malbec (though different blocks) along the Las Tunas River at 3800 feet above sea level. The vineyards here have a diverse array of alluvial soils, crossed by many rivers and river beds. Wines from Tupungato tend to have very expressive aromas because of the sun exposure, and yet they are lighter bodied with much more skin and bone than muscle with an austere mid palate, depending on the soil composition.

Grapes are hand picked and then brought into the cellar for spontaneous fermentation. About 80% of the grapes are de-stemmed and sent to stainless, along with the remaining 20% whole clusters. When primary fermentation is complete, the wine is pressed off the skins and sent to concrete tanks for 18 months of aging where it undergoes malolactic fermentation. It is gently fined and filtered to preserve freshness and bottled with a small dosage of sulfur.


  • Grapes: 85% Malbec - 15% Cabernet Franc
  • Vineyard: Agua Amarga (Tupungato)
  • Vine Age: 20-years-old
  • Soil Type: Loose, sandy and gravelly alluvial soil
  • Viticulture: Sustainable
  • Fermentation: Native — stainless-steel (20% whole bunch)
  • Skin Contact: 25 days
  • Aging: 18 months in concrete tanks
  • Alcohol: 14.1%
  • pH: 3.4
  • Total Acidity: 5.08 g/L
  • Total SO2: 75 ppm
  • Total Production: 100 cases

Tasting Notes

This is a wine of intense elegance. The nose is a little shy at first, but a ferrous elegance shows through. The mouth is fleshy, tense, and silky yet broad, with grippy tannins and an electric vibrance. Red and black cherry appears on the palate, with hints of violet and graphite. The finish is elegant, fresh, spicy, and extra long.

Have a question or want to drop a line?

Contact Us